Video provides more insight into 2014 KCSO inmate beating (Courtesy of

Still0118_00000_1453142405391_58206_ver1.0(KNOXVILLE) Knox County jailers continued to kick a mentally ill inmate who was at the center of a 2014 jail beating well after they had cuffed him, placed him into a hog-tied position and rendered him defenseless, according to a never before made public video obtained by WBIR 10News.

The 24-minute recording, which county authorities have declined to make public, provides new details and more insight into the November 2014 incident that ended up costing two jailers their jobs and led to a federal lawsuit against the county, the Knox County Sheriff’s Office and the employees involved.

The recording also contradicts statements made by the officers in the weeks following the attack.

The video, taken from a correction officer’s handheld recorder, shows correction officers punching, kicking and kneeing 54-year-old Louis Flack in a holding area after they tackled and wrestled him to the ground. In it, one officer can be overheard referring to Flack as a “little (expletive)” and another telling the then-inmate: “You got what you wanted, Mr. Flack.”

The video also shows officers walking Flack to a small medical room where a nurse – who evaluates him – tells Flack “don’t move or I’m done.”

The video, obtained Sunday, is more telling than one released a year ago by the Sheriff’s Office after WBIR began investigating.

“These officers clearly knew their actions and words were being videotaped, but they still engaged in the brutal beating of my client, Mr. Flack, someone who is clearly mentally ill,’ said Flack’s attorney, Lance Baker. “They were punching him, kicking him, even kneeing him repeatedly while he is  . . . face down on the floor almost wallowing in his own blood. In my opinion, generally, when you’re being videotaped you’re a little bit more careful of what you do and what you say. Let’s take it for what it is: When the cameras aren’t rolling, what are these officers doing and saying at that point?”

The Knox County Sheriff’s Office did not respond to a request for comment on Monday. Authorities in the past have declined to comment, which is protocol for the department when a lawsuit is filed.

Flack was in custody at the Roger D. Wilson Detention Facility on Maloneyville Road in November 2014. Authorities initially arrested him for burglary and aggravated assault.

Charges later were dropped.

On the afternoon of Nov. 28, correction officers were trying to transport him to a different holding cell, but Flack – who was locked in his cell – refused to stick his hands through a sliding panel in the door so that officers could cuff him.

The guards, in order to extract Flack from the cell, rushed in and beat him, an investigation showed.


Several KCSO correction officers continued to strike former inmate Louis Flack even after he was restrained.

WBIR began investigating the matter several weeks later. The sherriff’s office at the time declined to release videos that 10News requested under the state’s open records act, citing a pending investigation.

In late January 2015, however, the Sheriff’s Office posted about nine minutes of video on the department’s website. The tape was taken from the stationary security cam mounted on the wall outside the tiny room where Flack was kept.

That previously released video showed five men storming the cell with two more watching from the door’s threshold. As Flack appeared to take a swing at one of them, the officers tackled him to the ground, and at least four started throwing punches.

However, an officer videotaping the fight with a handheld camera blocked much of the struggle.

The video, somewhat grainy, also did not include audio.

Two months after the beating, Knox County Sheriff Jimmy “J.J.” Jones fired jail employee Nick Breeden and suspended Cpl. David Sparkes and Chris Fustos without pay after reviewing the camera footage.

Sparkes was the supervisor on duty at the time of the Nov. 28 incident.

An internal review found the men used “techniques that violated policy” and use-of-force options taught by the department.

Jail employee Jesse Rudd also resigned amid the probe.

Breeden was later charged with official oppression and assault in connection with the beating.

The charges against Flack were eventually dropped and in November 2015 his attorney filed a $5 million lawsuit in U.S. District Court that accused the county, the sheriff’s office and six employees of violating Flack’s civil rights, using excessive force against him, inflicting emotional distress and violating the Americans with Disabilities Act.


The newly obtained video from the handheld camera opens with Sparkes, the officers’ supervisor, stating that officers asked Flack “numerous” times to stick his hands through a sliding panel so they could cuff him. Sparkes says they are going to give Flack one more chance before entering the cell.

When Flack refuses, the guards open the door and charge, taking him quickly to the ground. Breeden immediately strikes Flack repeatedly on the head and body as Fustos knees him. Seconds after he’s face-down on the floor, one officer begins yelling“Give me your hands!” as the two men continue hitting Flack.

Flack, who cannot move, begs: “Don’t kill me.”

The officers quickly handcuff Flack and twist his legs behind him so that they are in a reverse yoga position. While on his stomach, Flack tells one of the officers that he has to visit his doctor because he’s scheduled for “execution.”

Breeden then kicks Flack in the face.

“They say in the video that he’s resisting,” Baker said. “I don’t think you can resist anything at that point. And he still almost treats him like a piece of garbage, and kicks him right in the face with a steel-toed boot.”

The officers then walk Flack to a nursing station, leaving behind a blood-smeared floor in the cell. Breeden tells Flack that he “got what you wanted.”

The officers also threaten Flack with a “spit mask” if he doesn’t keep his head down while they walk him down a hallway.

A nurse, as she wipes the blood from his face, tells the former inmate: “Don’t move or I’m done.”

Nicholas Jeremiah Breeden

Former knox County correction officer Nick Breeden faces charges in connection with the November 2014 beating of former inmate Louis Flack.

Roughly halfway through the 24-minute recording, one officer questions “why Flack needs to go to a hospital.” Another tells him it’s “because of injuries to his head.”

An officer also can be heard saying that he took his own “Breeden elbow to the chin.”

Toward the end of the video, the nurse returns and asks the officers if they’re cut or injured. They tell her no.

“I just want to make sure there’s no exposure considering the considerable amount of blood everywhere,” she says.

The video concludes with Flack sitting in a chair, his head down and his hands and legs in shackles.

Breeden’s attorney, Joshua Hedrick, did not return a call seeking comment on Monday.

“Although the video depicts atrocious, cruel and inhumane treatment by Knox County correction officers, I can say I’m glad the video has finally surfaced after a year and a half of requests that have gone unanswered,” Baker said. “The video does support the claim that Mr. Flack was assaulted by Knox County officers . . . during his incarceration.”


In the weeks that followed the beating, the officers involved filed reports with the sheriff’s office about what happened.

Their statements, however, don’t match up with what can be seen on the recording.

Breeden said he “placed Flack on the ground” and delivered “multiple strikes” to his face and mid-section because he was “very combative towards officers,” and “attempted to strike me numerous times,” according to an incident report form he filed Dec. 11.

The video shows Flack wildly swinging only once at the group before he is taken down.

Rudd, who resigned during the investigation, reported a similar story.

He said that a number of officers entered Flack’s cell when he refused to cooperate. At that point, he said Flack hit him on his face.

The video does not show Flack hitting anyone.

“Inmate Flack was placed on the ground and in self-defense I delivered multiple strikes to the (inmate’s) facial area,” Rudd wrote in a Dec. 4 incident report.

Sparkes, who was suspended for five days, told investigators that after Flack refused to cooperate and before the fight broke out, he requested other officers to bring a video camera to the cell.

According to the corporal’s Dec. 11 report, Flack “stood in the cell with an aggressive stance,” and that he “resisted from the very beginning . . . by striking at officers, biting and kicking . . . .”

None of what Sparkes stated can be seen on the video.

Officer Fustos, who was suspended for two days without pay, said he delivered “multiple closed fist” to Flack’s face “in an attempt to stop his attack, but he was still resisting,” his Nov. 29 report states. He also said he “did deliver a knee strike to (Flack’s) right buttock area.”

Fustos also can be seen kneeing Flack in the back and kneeing him after he’s secured.

Fustos said he wouldn’t charge Flack “with any disciplinary actions due to his mental state.”

Baker said at this point Flack is “doing OK” and has been seeing two primary care physicians but he’s “still suffering from being incarcerated.”

Ratings and Reviews

National Trial Lawyers Top 40 under 40